If you notice that your gum tissue is pulling back and more of your tooth tissue is exposed, you are experiencing gum recession. This can creep up on you, which is why we recommend that you set up your preventive visits with us two times a year (it will allow us to detect and address such issues early on). For now, find out more with a quiz!
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: Gum recession is always a sign of an underlying oral health problem like disease. If you notice your gums are receding, you will definitely need to visit us for restorative care.
- True or False: If you notice that your gums are receding, it’s a good idea to improve your dental hygiene and wait a few weeks before you contact us.
- True or False: It’s quite common for patients to experience receding gums as the result of brushing that has become too vigorous.
- False. It’s entirely possible that other factors are coming into play regarding your gum recession. It is best to come speak with us to find out what’s causing it, so we can provide you with home care suggestions or offer the appropriate treatment.
- False. When recession occurs, we suggest you contact us immediately. If the problem is related to periodontal issues, it is very important that we begin treatment as soon as possible.
- True. Sometimes, we simply need to direct patients toward gentler habits at home. When you put too much muscle into your dental hygiene sessions, it can lead to physical damage of your smile, including the pulling away of your gingival tissue.